Antonio Conte has told Tottenham Hotspur’s media team that Matt Doherty is a player making a huge amount of progress after struggling with what the Italian wanted when he came in, writes the TBR.
As soon as Conte was appointed at Tottenham, fans were speculating about which players may be transformed during his tenure. Of course, one of the most famous examples was Victor Moses from his time at Chelsea. And there would have been hope that the Spurs boss could take the full-backs to another level.
The jury is still out on Emerson Royal. Meanwhile, it has been a difficult time for Ryan Sessegnon due to injury. But there is absolutely no question that Doherty has been a revelation over the last few weeks.
There were glimpses on that dramatic night in Leicester. And since then, he has kicked on significantly. The Republic of Ireland international scored his second goal of the campaign on Sunday as Tottenham thrashed Newcastle 5-1.
Unsurprisingly, Conte was full of praise for the 30-year-old, outlining just how much progress he has made since they started working together.
“Matthew is one player who is making big, big progress. Honestly at the start he struggled to understand my idea of football and what I wanted from the wing-backs,” he told Tottenham’s media team.
“But when he came into my ideal football, for sure he’s a reliable player because he’s strong defensively and dangerous when he attacks.”
What was particularly impressive about Doherty’s performance was that he was actually deployed on the left. And he still managed to shine, particularly in the second-half.
He is certainly doing all he can to show Conte that he has a role to play next season. That would have seemed unimaginable just a few months ago.
He was linked with being offered to Wolves as part of a bid for Adama Traore in January. Now however, Tottenham will surely have no intention of letting Doherty leave.