Tottenham Hotspur forward Heung-Min Son has admitted to Sky Sports that he was shocked to be offered a new contract by the club this summer.
Son still had two years left on his deal at Tottenham, but Nuno and Fabio Paratici wanted to tie the South Korean down quickly.
As a result Spurs offered Son new terms earlier this summer, which he duly penned.
Son’s contract now runs until 2026, which sorts out his long-term future.
And the 29-year-old attacker says he wants to repay Spurs’ faith in him over the coming years.
“I didn’t expect the new contract to come so early because I had a couple of years left. They showed how much they loved me,” he said.
“It was a big honour already playing six years here, but they give me so much and I want to give them something back.
“I’m just so grateful to be here. It’s an honour to play with this club. Another five years – we can achieve big things.”
Son looks set to head into the campaign as one of Tottenham’s leaders.
With Harry Kane’s future so uncertain, Son has never been so important to Spurs as he is now.
Son, thankfully, has been in very bright form over pre-season for Spurs – and scored against Arsenal in Tottenham’s last friendly match.
All eyes will now turn to Sunday, when Spurs are set to take on Manchester City in their Premier League opener.